Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Few Things


First of all, I want to congratulate Ashton Richardson. He was a senior Auburn football player this past year. He was also a finalist for the Rhodes Scholarship. He most recently won the Bobby Bowden award, which the Fellowship of Christian Athletes awards to the football player who best epitomizes the 'student athlete'. Ashton's major is Animal Science. His GPA is 3.9. Now, if you aren't familiar, Auburn has one of the best large animal vet programs in the country. I can only imagine how difficult those classes are. He managed these grades while being a starter on the football team. He was a walk-on player originally who was given a scholarship. He worked his way to a football scholarship. He wants to be a horse surgeon. He balanced being a great student, a hard worker, a team leader, and a starter without getting in trouble or causing any problem. In fact, he was winning awards that honored his work ethic and grades. What a guy! Congratulations, Ashton. I wish you the best of luck in life and all of your endeavors. If I ever own a horse, I would be sure to take that horse to Ashton if the horse needed surgery.

This part is much harder for me to write. My parents have a neighbor who have a grandson with leukemia. I went to school with his uncle. His dad is quite a bit older than me, so I don't really remember. In 2011, Harrison was diagnosed with leukemia. I have followed the story with others in my community. Harrison and his family live in North Carolina, but there are many of us that know his uncle, grandparents, and some know his dad. Harrison is actually doing quite well, but he is currently on an adventure from the Make-A-Wish foundation. His whole family was flown to Miami for the national championship game.Today, Harrison's dad posted pictures. They met some of the Notre Dame players today, Coach Saban, Kirk Herbstreit, and more I am sure. They got to see the College Gameday set. It looks like an amazing experience. No one deserves it  more than this family. They have stared this cancer in the face and fought with everything they have. Harrison has been strong and brave. He is worthy of hero status. This family has kept God at the front of everything. I know that this has been a topic of discussion recently about whether God cares about outcomes of football games. I don't think He cares about the game, but I know He cares about His children. I have been raised to root against Alabama really. However tomorrow night, I want whoever Harrison is cheering for to win. Believe me, this is hard for me to say. (Special thanks here to Chad Gibbs and his book 'God and Football- I don't think I could have done this without some of the words and points in his book) Since there are picture of his family adorned in the crimson and white with that familiar curly A; I guess I know who I want to win. So for this one night and one night only, Roll Tide, Harrison.

If you want to read more about his family, his dad maintains a blog at http://www.stevemckinion.com
You can find them on Facebook at Pray for Harrison

1 comment: