Monday, April 1, 2013

More than an Injury


When I was in the 7th or 8th grade, my friend was in a terrible accident. She was riding on the back of a three wheeler and another guy was driving it. I was standing on the side of the road when they whizzed by and turned the corner. As they turned the corner the whole three wheeler flipped over and they both flew off. Now this was more than 25 years ago but I can still see it clearly in my head. My friend flew right into a fire hydrant and the other guy flew in a different direction. I was looking right at my friend's leg when I saw the bone pop out of the leg. I didn't know the term 'compound fracture' at the time. I stood there for what seemed like forever with my mouth wide open. A guy driving by stopped to help. He yelled for me to go call 911 (which was new!) but I continued to stare. Finally I ran back home to the phone- and called. Took me two times to get anyone on the phone...all I could tell them was that the bone was out of the leg. I completely forgot about the other kid on the ATV. As it turned out, he was actually more injured than she was because he had a a head injury. (He was ok though) I remember when the ambulance got there, they put a contraption on her leg that was this type of stabilizer that blew up with a machine. It also had warm fluids in it. The EMTs knew I was scared so they let me watch everything.  She had surgery, spent some time in traction, and was discharged from the hospital several days later. I remember her cast had this little window cutout from the cast so the wound could be treated. I think I remember that little cutout from the cast more than anything. It took a while, but my friend soon got back to normal.

Last night when I watched the Louisville/Duke game, I SAW the play and saw Kevin Ware's leg twist, but I never saw the bone out. I saw severe reactions from players from both teams. I've seen several terrible sports injuries in my life. I saw one which is never mention- a Samford player in a game against Southern Miss. It didn't even seem like that big of a deal. He was paralyzed though, and he died later. Southern Miss player Derrick Nix was injured it what seemed like a run of the mill injury. It turned out he had an underlying kidney issue and he was never ever the same. Deandre Brown broke his leg in a bowl game (you can youtube that one) and it was REALLY gross. You could see his leg snap while he was running, and then he holds it up in the air and it flops it a section that should not flop. A player from the other team is trying to help him, but he kept holding his leg up. It was almost like he was afraid to let it touch the ground. He turned out ok though, and he played the next year. The scariest of all in my lifetime of course, was Zac Etheridge. It didn't look like a big deal at first, as we all know. Then he just didn't get up. I think the scene where his friend tugs at his jersey and Zac is just flopped over the other player.  Never dreamed he would return to the field; never underestimate God's hand.

All that being said, first of all I think CBS did the right thing. They didn't reshow the injury over and over again. I know the Louisville players were upset, but what got me was the visible reaction of the Duke players as well. Even stoic Coach K was upset. I saw a picture today that showed Ware up on crutches today. That just showed how far medicine has come. I know it was difficult for the players to try to play basketball again after that. Their minds were with their teammate. I love seeing the team bonding and the all for one TEAM. Our girls softball team at the high school has a team member who was burned badly in an accident right before the season started. Her teammates made up the phrase 'Strive for Five' to win it all for their teammate. (Five obviously being her jersey number) They are doing REALLY well, too! Five is back at school part of the day but she isn't able to sit out at any ball games yet.

I said all that to say, one reason I love team sports is that you are doing in for more than just yourself. There is the TEAM!! Playing team sports was one of the best things my parents ever did for me.  Being a part of something that is bigger than yourself is just something that can't be explained. While I've never been a fan of Louisville hoops- I hope the win it all. Go get it Cards. Do it for your team.

No comments:

Post a Comment