Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Well Done

An amazing person was taken from us early Sunday morning. I have starting trying to write a tribute several times, but keep erasing and starting over. One thing I keep thinking is that Philip never really belonged here. He was a child of our King who had the faith that God asks- the faith of a child.

There are a million good things to say about him.  I first knew that he would be a funny fella when I heard him refer to himself as 'Old Phil Phil'. He turned into one of my favorite Auburn football players of all time. I loved that he let us feel like we knew him well. We were blessed to have him play in the orange and blue. We were blessed to have him here on earth with us, even if it was for just a little while. I know that in that split second when he left this world, he was greeted at the gates of Heaven with a "Well, done, my faithful servant. Well done."

These are some of my favorite things about him-
After the 2010 National Championship game, he did a Q & A on twitter. I asked him if his name fit on his Pee Wee jersey. (Having a peculiar last name myself, I can relate) His answer:  I didn't have a Pee Wee jersey. Mine had to be special ordered.
He quoted the Sandlot AND Mean Girls. (You go, Glen CoCo)
The Woody costume.
His hands were magnets for the football in the endzone.
He stood up for what he thought was right at all times.
Every time a fan asked for a picture, he took it, he smiled and made them feel welcome.
He wrote Evan's name on his shoes.
He let his faith show to everyone. Maybe he didn't say it all the time, (although he did often)but his life and his actions did.

The best thing I know to do for him is to pay it forward. If everyone did something for someone else in his honor, I think he would love it. We don't have to make a list of  the things that we've done- but in our heart, we would know that we had done something to honor him. There are so many ideas- pay for the person behind you in a drive thru, pick up some trash, etc.  I hope you all will join me. Make every day count. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment