Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Walking in Light

Last week, (Dec 13)  I was on a trip with a friend when I got some devastating news. The sister and father of one of my former students had been killed in a car accident. Ari was 18. She had just finished her freshman fall semester at Univ. of Louisiana-Lafayette.  She graduated from our school last year. Her father was a local beloved youth pastor. Her older brother is one of my former students. I was blessed to get to know the Wager family through a parent/family- teacher relationship at first. As time moved on, I was blessed to call them friends.
Where to start about Arianna? First of all, she was brilliant and creative. She was an excellent student. I remember her taking honors Alg. II as a freshman. She loved show choir and musical theater. She was fiercely protective of her older brother, yet she was firm with him at the same time. She was quirky. She was always smiling. The thing that stood out more than anything was that she absolutely radiated inner joy. Every time I spoke with her, she was happy. Her walk with Jesus was evident in everything she did.  She walked in grace every day of her life. A couple of summers ago, Ari went to Africa on a mission trip. I have heard many people telling me about her trip. Ari and her family told me Ari just fit there. I spoke with her on many occasions about her trip. Her heart ached to go back. There was just a oneness with her when she was in Africa. She was studying special education, but I think she might have considered full time missions in Africa.
Her father, Randy was a beloved youth minister in our small town. He moved his family to the area for the job. He was doing amazing things with this youth group. They were always doing something. He was caring and the kids were plugged in. He and his wife both frequently volunteered at the school, helping with the most mundane tasks such as helping with testing or bringing things to PTA meetings.  He was also quirky and different, but it made them a special family. It's going to be tough for his youth group. I cannot imagine that happening to my youth pastor when I was a teen.
This is an amazing family. When I went to the memorial service, my former student was the first in the family greeting people. He was standing by his sister's casket. His uncle was standing with him, but not really interacting since Uncle Dennis did not really know the people from Lucedale as well. Kegan was such a little man. He just took it. Person after person, he greeted, hugged and cried with them. His mother was positioned between the caskets with her other two daughters standing beside her. Because Kegan was so strong, his mom was able to stand between her husband and daughter. His dad would have been so proud of him.



                                             Photo property of Wager family. Used with permission. 

Ari was a light in the world. Her love for Jesus and others radiated from her heart. The world is truly short of some peacemakers without Ari and Randy. Jennifer, Kegan, Bri and Kara are going to need help in the coming days.  Please keep this family in your prayers.
Jennifer herself posted this two days after the accident.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.
Psalms 27:13-14


No comments:

Post a Comment