Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Great Day

I didn't get to go to Auburn today to see the National Championship Celebration. I would have loved to go, but there were many things going on around here today. I did watch it online. It was a terrific thing to see. I wasn't sure I'd ever see it in my lifetime. I cried today, watching the trophies being presented. I cried when the honored the 04 team. I cried when I saw the crowd, team, and coaches cheering for Kodi.

It was just a tiny bit bittersweet in one aspect. Some people who read know I teach high school. In December of 08, we had a student killed in an 'incident.' It was a devastating day. I will honestly say it was a harder day as a teacher than 9/11. He was a top notch football player. He was the most dynamic player I have EVER seen as a high school student, and I am not saying that just because he played for the school I teach at.  As a freshman, he played like a superstar in the state championship game. The players have worn patches on their jerseys the past two years with his number. His number is also painted in the endzones, where Billey Joe liked to spend so much time! He was being recruited by many schools, including the two schools of his choice.  The school HE wanted to go to was Auburn. His second choice was Oregon. When it was decided that Auburn and Oregon would be playing for the NC, several students casually mentioned to me how much Billey would have loved it. A student who I have worked with for several years was very close to Billey. His death almost did 'Kiddo' in. Kiddo came up to me and showed me a picture of Billey in an Auburn shirt. He said, 'Do you wonder if he would have played in this game?' That just about broke my heart.

 This would have been his freshman year in college. I don't know if he would have made it academically. I don't know if he would have decided to go. I know what he wanted to do. I know he would have loved playing at Auburn. Even if he hadn't been playing, he would have loved to have seen Auburn win the national championship. So today, when watching the celebration, I could help but pause my thoughts on Billey Joe. Whether it had been a part of the team or a part of the celebration, it was a day he would have loved.

So, Billey Joe, a big War Eagle just for you. Not a day goes by at GCHS that someone doesn't mention your name. You may not have gotten to play for Auburn, but the memory of you remained in the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment