Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Not for the Life of Me

I can totally understand the desire to be famous. I have never personally had that desire, really. Of course, I once thought I would swim in the Olympics, but at the time, I never paired that with fame. I have always tried to be the best teacher I could be, but it doesn't bother me to not win teacher of the year or any other teacher awards.  The reason: I just don't want every move I make scrutinized by people who may or may not be educated on particular topics. In the day of the 24 hr news cycle, 24 hr cable news, internet news, blogs, and the ability to access news on mobile devices, every move some people make is reported as news, whether it is or not. Then, it becomes news even when its not really.

I cannot begin to imagine what people would think if they followed every move I made.

Here is what they would find:
A girl who was in the pep band at the NCAA tournament in Ruston, LA when the band stole sheets from the Holiday Inn to wear togas to the game. We were televised waving parts of the sheets around. The part ESPN showed? The sheet printed with 'PROPERTY OF HOLIDAY INN, RUSTON, LA.'
(If I might add that 'Inn' came equipped with fly swatters.)

A college student who stole toilet paper to work on the band's homecoming float.

Less than stellar grades in math, biology, chemistry and anthropology.

A girl who once had her car towed in college because she forgot to move it before a football game and it was in a 'alumni club parking zone.'

A gal who once had an entire plate of nachos dropped on her head when standing under the stadium at St. Martin HS, waiting to use the restroom. Yes, cheese dripped from my hair.
A gal who can be a little too passionate about her college teams at times.

A teacher who once gave a student a ride home when she taught alternative school because she knew the student would get into more trouble on the walk home than the teacher would get for giving her the ride home.

A teacher that shows favor to a few students who have terrible home lives and need someone to look out for them by holding them accountable for their actions; giving them reprimands when it is needed and praise and cookies when they do well.

A teacher who has a day every now and then when she is far to exhausted to do her job well and gives the kids worksheets.

I also use slang and incorrect grammar, even if my subject is English.  I sometimes end my sentences with prepositions.


There are more but they are far too boring to keep posting.
Any of these things taken out of context could make someone look bad if someone tried hard enough.

So, thanks, but I will just live my little life in obscurity. That is ok with me.

1 comment: