Sunday, January 9, 2011

Memories

As I sit here on the evening of the National Championship game, I have reflected on some of the memories I have of Auburn football. What I remember MOST is being with my family and friends. When I was really young, we went every year to one game. We would always get to see my grandparents and we would tailgate with them. My sister and I had jerseys. Mine was a Bo Jackson jersey. My sister's was the jersey of  Lionel James.  I remember us playing in those jerseys in our tailgate area, which is now a parking lot.

I remember the 1984 Sugar Bowl. I remember getting to watch Bo do his thing that night. I also remember my sister sticking her tongue out at a little girl with a Michigan shirt on at the concession stand. Michigan scored and went ahead. That was the point I started believing in Sports Karma.  Thank goodness we won. This is also what I remember. My sister got to stay in NOLA with my parents. My grandmother drove me home to Mobile and I went to school the next day. I was in the SECOND GRADE!!!

Later, when my parents inherited the season tickets by way of a great friend of my grandfather, we would kind of split the tickets and take turns going. My sis and bro in law would go to one game. My parents another. I would always go and take a friend. I remember getting to see Tiger make her last flight as the War Eagle.

I remember the emotion I felt when the AU-UA game was in Auburn after 9/11 when the bands played together.

They haven't always been GREAT memories. Last year, we went to the Kentucky game. We bought extra tickets so we could ALL go. My mom, dad, sis, broinlaw, and the twins. The WHOLE day went wrong. It was about 35 degrees colder than they had predicted. It rained and there was no prediction of rain. Ella got sick. They took her to the med station. Then we lost the game at the end!!!!! Then, Emma puked all over my dad on the way out of the stadium. We had planned to drive home, but with puking 2 yr olds, we had to stop. We had to stay at the seediest motel. You know what? Its worth it when Ella says, ' I throwed up at the War Eagle game. I throwed up EBRYWHERE!'

Then this year, I got to shake Cam's hand. I got to shake Zac's hand. I got to meet and talk with Zac's parents. It has been an unbelievable ride. I am so excited to add to the memories. It is one for the ages. If you read all that, all I can say is congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment