Sunday, January 23, 2011

It Tumped Over...

So, today at church, our pastor was discussing dialectal language. He was explaining something in Ephesians, but was using our various phrases to try to compare things. He is a Mobile boy who moved away and was a pastor near Buffalo. He said if he had ever used the phrase 'it tumped over' while he was in Buffalo, people would have looked at him like he had three heads. I know it doesn't sound exactly biblical, but he has this amazing way of making things from the Bible understandable. He is an amazing teacher.

I don't really have any super insights or thought for this blog, but it made me think about some of our lovely southern phrases.

Of course, everone knows ya'll. However, ya'll can mean one person or several people. For emphasis, we sometimes say 'all ya'll'.

'Fixin' to' is used daily, as it about to do something.

One I use often is 'used to could', meaning something I could previously do but cannot anymore.

We also use 'about' as an adverb. 'He about cut his foot off.'

I know it isn't good grammar...but it is still funny. I even laugh at myself sometimes. I am not EVEN going to try to grammar and spell check this entry. Ha.

2 comments:

  1. So, um, what does "it tumped over" mean? I'm familiar with the other phrases, but I don't think I've ever heard that one. --mrohr

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already messaged mrohr to tell her what it means, but in case anyone else doesn't know, it means, 'it fell over' or 'it got knocked over', as in 'Oops, that chair just tumped over'.

    ReplyDelete