Friday, January 7, 2011

How I Became an Auburn Fan

So, another reason I wanted to start a blog was to post various thoughts on other things. I am a HUGE Auburn fan.  I wrote a little thingie on it a while back. Blaze2000.com was gracious enough to share my thoughts via his blog. At any rate, here they are. This was written around November 10th.




I guess you would say I didn’t choose Auburn. It chose me.  I remember being REALLY little and meeting my grandparents in Auburn. My grandparents lived in Oxford, so they were close. They would ‘save’ a spot and we would tailgate right in front of Haley Center. We would always go to Anders, where my dad worked in college.  Ms. Rosemary and my grandmother were friends. At gametime, my grandparents would go off to sit in their ‘orange seats’ while my parents and sister and I took the seats in the endzone. We went every year. We still attend every year. We now get to sit in those orange seats. I am happy that we have passed down the love to my nieces. Those are some of my best memories with my grandparents. I hope this is something they can remember, too.  As far back as I can remember, we went to a game each year. Then, a player named BO came along. I saw him play in the Sugar Bowl around 1983 and KNEW I would love Auburn football for the rest of my life.
I also remember the agony and excitement I felt over the Iron Bowl over the years.  Living in a rural area, there weren’t many Auburn fans. The years that Auburn lost, the phone would start ringing right after the game with people taunting my family or me. When Auburn won, my parents would not allow me to do the same. I learned early to believe in what I call ‘sports karma.’ I used to feel that I ‘hated’ the other team no matter what. Three years ago, I started teaching high school at a school that has a heavy emphasis on football. I teach football players. I try to help them. I see them as young people looking to start something wonderful. So with it, I see the players as kids and that includes the players for the other team. See, I teach at a school where a football player was killed in an incident. He never got to choose his team or give college ball a try. I always think of him. So, I can cheer for my team without tearing down the kids on the other team.
Every year brings excitement and apprehension.
This year has been special. There is something about this team. Now, they may win the rest of the games.  They may lose them. It’s not that it doesn’t matter, because it does. However, when you look at some of the stories, winning another game is just secondary.
-          Zac Etheridge: Anyone who knows me knows I have followed him closely since his injury. This kid was possibly looking at not walking again. To think he is back on the football field is just amazing to me. The whole story of his injury and his friendship with Rodney Scott brings me to tears every time. Through it all, he has credited God, his family and his friends. Just amazing to me!!! He is going to be something great.
-          Kodi Burns: Things didn’t work out the way this kid wanted. He thought he was going to be a starting quarterback. A new offensive coach comes in and brings a QB with him. Kodi is not the starting quarterback. He would sometimes run the wildcat. Then, there was enormous turmoil at Auburn. Kodi stayed with it, though. He never won the starting QB job again. However, he has turned into a jam-up wide receiver. This is inspirational to me. What an Auburn man!
-          Lee Ziemba: This huge, top of the line recruit appeared from Arkansas. He was always jumping offsides. I could SEE the potential. Then, the turmoil happened. He seemed a mess that year. However, again, he stuck it out. The new coaching group seemed to FIT him. He has turned into an outstanding player and leader on this team. Big things are going to happen for this kid. On Friday, he will become the new ‘Iron-Man of Auburn Football’. He will have his 50th consecutive start. That is again, amazing to me!
-          Cam Newton: Whatever happened, didn’t happen, will happen, not sure we will ever know the true story. Sadly, the media took it as a chance to run a kid into the ground. I will say this: He is breathtaking to watch play. He plays with more joy and enthusiasm than I have seen in a long time. I never thought I’d see another electric player like Bo ever again, but I think he takes the cake! I’ve never seen anyone being tacked with such a big smile on his face!
-          The feeling of family these coaches have returned to the game. Others can make fun of it, but it is important to me and to other Auburn folks. It’s just who we are.
-          Seeing the pictures of that Halloween party and seeing the kids have fun brought a smile to my face, because at the end of the day, they are still just kids.
-          When Mike Dyer broke Bo’s freshman rushing record and Bo hugged him and lifted his arm, it was an electric feeling. That was an amazing moment, whatever team you pull for. If it doesn’t mean something to you, then maybe it’s not a love a football you have.

You know what? I think even if I had chosen my team without the influence of my family, I would have chosen the same. It’s just who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment